Monday, July 19, 2010

Building a character profile

I'm working on a new story - writing small bits of it while on break at work, using a computer program when at home. Last night, I worked on character profiles. The program asks for height, eye and hair color, favorite book, movie, music, political thinking, religion, etc.  I really noticed a difference in building the character with this program,  it was easier. By defining the character on paper in more detail, I'm able to visualize the person better. By connecting the character to a friends physical attributes for the time being, they are in the room with me living the story.  It reminded me of  building a Wii character on the boys video game.
I think one of the problems with the story I've worked on for eight years or more is that I don't see one of the main characters the way  I wrote her. The red hair is supposed to be an important part of the story that shows her lineage to the first king. I don't see her with red hair in my minds eye. I think this has been more of a stumbling block then I realized.

How about your characters? Do they come to life in your story looking different then you described them?

No comments:

Post a Comment