Monday, July 12, 2010

We spend all that time teaching the adverbs and adjectives

As a homeschooling mom, I'm getting English grammar for the second, third, and fourth time. This time around finding adverbs and adjectives has been easier and 'understandable'. In seventh grade it made no sense, and I had to make extra credit posters to pass.   Writing improved sentences always includes adding adverbs and adjectives - dressing up the sentence.

Now, as I practice the craft of novel writing, I shake my head at all the dispensable words writers should not use - those adverbs and adjectives for instance, or cutting out prepositional phrases.
Writing for publication is like training for the Olympics, it's a whole different ball game from recreational sports.  Some days it wears you out and you wonder why you go through all the struggles, then there is that flash of hope and it's worth it again. Oh man, I just ended with a preposition. Uh.

Have fun this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment